Yonkers Raceway, considered a city landmark, was founded in 1899 as the Empire City Race Track; it is a one-half-mile harness racing dirt track. It was then converted and reopened as a Thoroughbred horse racing track in 1907 until 1942 when it was converted back to being a harness track. In 1950, William H. Cane acquired Empire City and converted it to Yonkers Raceway.
Yonkers Raceway was previously the site of the Cane Pace, one of the legs of the Triple Crown of Harness Racing for Pacers. It is now the host track for the Messenger Stakes. Yonkers Raceway became the first harness track in America to host two Triple Crown Races (Yonkers Trot and the Messenger) on the same day.
54th edition of the $542,000 Messenger Stakes Harness Racing, a one-dash-for-the-cash event contested at Yonkers Raceway was held last year.